Students will learn about how trees are an essential part of our lives with a focus on the role they play in urban areas, including energy considerations. They then consider threats posed to trees, including non-native insects, domestic animal waste, and erosion. Students then evaluate the potential impact of local tree conservation efforts and design a plan for their community.
Students will understand:
- How do trees benefit humans and the environment?
- What threats do trees face?
- What can people do to protect and promote trees in their community?
For each group of students/individual student:
- Notebook paper/journal
- Map of school ground and/or community
- SmartPhone or tablet
- Fan (can be made from paper or powered)