At the conclusion of Lesson 1: Water Cycle & Weather, students were asked the question: “How does temperature affect evaporation?” Students review the water cycle and how it affects the weather, conduct the evaporation lab and describe the factors that affect evaporation.
Next Generation Science Standards:
MSESS24: Develop a model to describe the cycling of water through Earth's systems driven by energy from the sun and the force of gravity.
CCSS.ELA LITERACY.RST.68.7: Integrate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text with a version of that information expressed visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, or table).
- Set up stations with, and without, clamp lights and scales throughout the classroom
- Fill each of the beakers with water
- Provide paper towels at each station in case of spills
- Label the station with the lights “A” and the station without the lights “B”
- Lay out thermometers to calibrate to the same temperature
Evaporation lab slideshow
Lab Materials (per group)
- 2 petri dishes
- 2 Thermometers
- 1 Clamp light
- 1 incandescent heat bulb
- 2 droppers
- 2 liters water
- 2 digital scales
- 2 200ml beakers