Save Our Trees!
The class discusses how to identify the trees preferred by the ALB and students search for ALB trees outside. This is followed by a discussion of why trees are important and should be saved from ALB. Optional activities for making word pictures and tree tags are included.
- Students will understand how the invasive ALB can have a large impact on their lives and their communities.
- Students will understand how, when, and where to search for the ALB (and the signs of its activity) and how to prevent the beetle from spreading to other communities.
- Students will understand how to mobilize their peers, family, and community members to search for, raise awareness about, and eradicate the ALB.
- Plan this lesson for a time when leaves are on the trees. Check the ALB Year-Round Calendar (back cover) for suggestions!
- Bring in a wooden baseball bat and some pure maple syrup.
The activity can be found on Page 13 of the PDF linked below.
- Classroom Poster
- Wooden baseball bat, maple syrup, paper
- Paper for word pictures