Search and Report--Follow the Signs
The class discusses the life cycle of the ALB and relates the beetle's life stages to the signs of ALB infestation.
- Students will understand how the invasive ALB can have a large impact on their lives and their communities.
- Students will understand how, when, and where to search for the ALB (and the signs of its activity) and how to prevent the beetle from spreading to other communities.
- Students will understand how to mobilize their peers, family, and community members to search for, raise awareness about, and eradicate the ALB.
- Create a modified "Follow the Signs" quadrant. Cover the outer sign’s circle (the purple circle). The inner life cycle (the red circle) and the tree in the center should remain visible. Make copies of this modified quadrant for your students. Note: To copy the 17" x 22" version of the poster, fold the poster so that only the “Follow the Signs” quadrant is visible.
- Make sure you have an ALB ID Card for each student. A template card that can be printed and laminated is available online.
The activity can be found on Page 11 of the PDF linked below.
- Classroom Poster
- ALB ID Cards
- USDA Reporting Form