Save our Trees!
Students discuss what trees are preferred by ALB and research attributes of hosts. They then survey and measure trees in a local area and use the National Tree Benefits Calculator to reinforce the value of trees and the services they provide.
- Students will understand how the invasive ALB can have a large impact on their lives and their communities.
- Students will understand how, when, and where to search for the ALB (and the signs of its activity) and how to prevent the beetle from spreading to other communities.
- Students will understand how to mobilize their peers, family, and community members to search for, raise awareness about, and eradicate the ALB.
- Plan this lesson for a time when leaves are on the trees. Check the ALB Year-Round Calendar (back cover) for suggestions!
- Collect one tape measure and one 8-foot length of string for each student group.
- Familiarize yourself with the National Tree Benefits Calculator (see "Guided Inquiry: Tree and Ecosystem Services").
The activity can be found on Page 24 of the PDF linked below.