Search and Report.
Students will evaluate how signs of ALB infestation relate to the insect's life cycle. They will also create personal Search Calendars identifying opportunities to search for various ALB life stages.
- Students will understand how the invasive ALB can have a large impact on their lives and their communities.
- Students will understand how, when, and where to search for the ALB (and the signs of its activity) and how to prevent the beetle from spreading to other communities.
- Students will understand how to mobilize their peers, family, and community members to search for, raise awareness about, and eradicate the ALB.
- Make enough copies of the “Follow the Signs” quadrant of the poster to have one for each student group.
- Make sure you have an ALB ID Card for each student. A template card that can be printed and laminated is available online.
The activity can be found on Page 22 of the PDF linked below.
- Classroom Poster
- ALB ID Cards
- University of Vermont’s ALB Biology page: www.uvm.edu/albeetle/biology/index.html
- ALB Year-Round Calendar (see back cover)
- USDA's "ALB Identification and Look-Alikes List": www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/content/printable_version/a...
- Paper or pre-printed blank calendar pages for "Search Calendars:
- USDA’s article on the white spotted sawyer: http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/ws_sawyer/ws_sawyer.htm